Monday 11 May 2009

Buttons, buttons and more buttons...

When I was a child of about 9 or 10 a great-uncle of mine gave me boxes full of buttons that he got from a clothing factory that closed down. I have been hanging on to these boxes for about thirty years (let's not get into to much detail here...) without using any of the buttons. Then about 2 years ago I got the idea to use some of the leather buttons (yes, leather buttons!) to make a place mat. I first tried to weave it together with string but that didn't work, so I ended up sewing the buttons to strips of recycled denim in such a way that it gave the impression of being weaved. This is the result:
Let me show you some more buttons from the boxes:
These have a camo appearance and my boys love them. Ideal for army play suits!Some more army-type buttons.Some coat buttons...and some more coat buttons.A few one-offs.These ones does not come from the box but was acquired somewhere along the lines... can't remember the details. The coloured ones on the left are painted leather, the small ones in the middle are denim covered and blue and pink ones on the right are painted clay.

Maybe I must open a button shop. Does anyone have some ideas on what to do with all these buttons? I would love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Janet Brady said...

I just found your blog on Quilting Bloggers. How cool to find somewone halfway around the world in Dubai! Your work is so interesting, very different from the typical traditional quilts most people do in the US. I was also very inspired by your explanation of your title of sunlight and shadow and the picture on the water in Oman are beautiful. Thanks for brightening up my day. I will add you to my list of blogs to watch.

aykayem said...

you can send those extra buttons to me if you like - LOL
(but don't tell my husband I said that ... my stash is already kind of invading the house and I don't throw much stuff out either)

btw - I found your blog because someone sent the link to your spiral blanket to a crochet list I am on ... (I crochet, and I also make quilts and dabble in a heap other textile arty stuff too) I might have to add you blog to my "watch" list too - I like it!
Andrea,
an Aussie (who actually visited Dubai earlier this year ... but just for a few days ... a few enjoyable days - Dubai is an interesting place!)

Amrita said...

Hi Ansie
I came across your blog while looking for unusual granny squares. I must say the spiral one you made looks great! I also like the button place mat. Concerning your button collection, have you ever thought of making button jewelry? There are many links and books which deal with this subject .
You may wish to check the following links:
http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Make_Button_Charm_Jewelry
http://www.beadinggem.com/2011/03/more-button-jewelrytutorials-to-inspire.html
Hope they inspire you to create new things!
Amrita