Friday 12 February 2010

hats and things from Thailand

Our Thailand holiday is almost forgotten with all the rushing around that goes with children and a household, but now that we have mid-term break (already!), I have a quiet moment to reflect on what I saw and bought. After living in Dubai for 5 and a half years, shopping is really not on the top of my list of things to do when I go to a new country. I would much rather spend my time in nature or look at the architecture and other design orientated things...and try out all the exotic food, of course. That's the reason why I only have a handful of loot from Thailand.

I bought these two hats on New Year's Eve from a lady selling them on the beach. I just love the colours! Apparently it is made by women from the Hill Tribes in Northern Thailand where they still live and dress in the traditional way. It looks like a lot of work went into making the hats - almost as much as trying to get a one-year old to pose for a photo!

Just around the corner from the lodge where we stayed I found a shop selling all sorts of artifacts including some traditional building materials. It looks like a building site, so it was only on our last day there, that I realised all the 'stuff' is actually for sale! I found these 2 tiles on a pile of reclaimed bricks.

I also found this piece of reclaimed wooden balustrade under an old table in the back yard.

So, no clothes, jewellery or shoes. Just a few pieces of used building materials. Exciting, isn't it?

No comments: