Friday 28 January 2011

knit 1, purl 1

I learned to knit as a child. My knitting was always very tight and a few rows in my mother or my teacher always had to redo everything as it was just to constricted to continue. I don't want to say I gave up, but I moved on to other things. My mother is a master knitter and she has at least one project going at all times, so I guess it was inevitable for me to come around to knitting again. Maybe I am old enough to turn into my mother now!

I've had a project in the back of my mind for quite a while now, and I decided that 2011 is the year I am going to make it. But it involves knitting, so I bought myself a pair of knitting needles and set to work.



This is what I am capable of without any instruction. Three different stitches. And the tension is not to bad. My project involves blocks of different colours and textures, so I tried my hand at mixing the colours.



So far, so good. All the mistakes I made were counting mistakes and not knitting mistakes, except for a bit of variation in the tension... I didn't weave the back as it was to time consuming, but I can see anything more than 3 or 4 stitches difference will need weaving.



This time I worked with seperate spools of yarn, and it does look better than the previous one. Again, the colour changes went well, but the counting didn't. And the tension is still not consistent.



Lastly I tried to not only vary the colour but also the stitch. It works ok, except for the tension.
Let's see where this leads...

No comments: