Friday 1 July 2011

Arabian design influence

Arabian geometric patterns and designs have fascinated me ever since we moved to the Middle-East seven years ago.  One of the things I love the most about the buildings and designs of this part of the world is the attention to detail.  Everything is finished with a pattern, a decorative border or a tiled inlay of some kind.


Whether it is a facade wall, a window, a screen, a floor or a ceiling everything is decorated.  Some very ostentatious and other very subtle and low key. 


I am working on a quilt pattern inspired by these Islamic/Arab designs.  I have studied the different designs and came up with a quilt pattern I like very much.  I am now in the 'test the pattern' phase, and this is what I have so far:


It is only one block of many making up the design.  It consists of MANY pieces and part of the test is to see if it is feasible and whether I should try to simplify it.  Once I am happy with the pattern I will start testing the colour combinations.  So far so good...

1 comment:

Ruth's Place said...

This is going to make a very striking quilt.