Thursday 6 October 2011

Project ABC: A is for Arab

The first item done!  It took more than 3 hours though...


Here are a few pics of the project in progress:


As I mentioned earlier, the geometrical patterns used in traditional Arab decorations really appeal to me.  I tried to combine these designs with the traditional Arab dress, which I also really appeal to me.


I didn't plan it that way but the process of layering the fabrics, decorating it, and then slowly peeling away the layers to reveal the traditional fabric underneath, reminded me of the Arabian way of dress.  Putting on layers to protect the culture, but at the same time using the layers to reveal the culture.


As I hoped, the process of making this has started a thought process which will lead to other interesting things... 

No comments: