Friday 16 March 2012

In a War someone has to Die

I few weeks ago I came across the website of Hanne Bang, an artist from Denmark.  
She is working on a project called "In a war someone has to die" 


Hanne says: "A couple of years ago I happened to zap by a TV program, in which a journalist was interviewing a professional African soldier. To the soldiers great disappointment he was out of work at the moment – because there was no war in his region. 
The interviewer asked the soldier if he was afraid of dying, and the soldier said: “No I am not afraid of dying. Are you afraid of dying?” The interviewer answered: “Yes I am afraid of dying”. Then the soldier said, without any sentimentality: “In a war someone has to die”. 

This little dialogue, and the words “In a war someone has to die”, returned back to me over and over again. Of course I knew that in wars people die, but suddenly I saw the essence and the reality of it very clearly." 


She then goes on to invite people to participate in a project inspired by these harsh words: 
"I am going to find women from all over the world. Many women from each country.
I would like to invite you to embroider/sew the text "In a war someone has to die" on a handkerchief. The text has to be in your own language. You may supplement with a symbol ore something else if you want to.
The handkerchiefs (hopefully 200-300 pieces) will eventually be sewn together into a great wall blanket. One universal voice. A commentary on the war and an act of solidarity to all those who must send husbands, fathers, sons, daughters and sisters into war.
In a war where someone has to die."

This is my contribution.  Written in Afrikaans.
If you want to be part of this project visit Hanne's website for more information.

2 comments:

Stel said...

Sjoe, Ansie. Ek het hiervan gelees. Jou bydrae is baie mooi.

molleemac said...

Thank you for bringing awareness to this moving project. Amazing how those 7 little words sound so haunting when stated as a concern rather than a fact.